Wednesday, August 8, 2012

I didn't (always) roll a 2!

So, after a long work enforced hiatus, Jason and I played again last night.  I didn't know what he was bringing to the party but, due to entirely rational fears of bad karma associated with my army, I made a new list and played a new caster as well.  This time the force was:

pIrusk
2 x Berserker
Wardog
Full Winter Guard unit with UA
Winter Guard mortar
Comrade Josef
Small unit of Kayazy with UA
Small unit of mechanics
Widowmakers
Manhunter solo

I didn't know what I was going to be fighting but Irusk is a "guys guy" so I took lots of guys.  I would have left out the mortar and filled up the Kayazy unit but my four extra Kayazy are unpainted and we're scared of bad karma from unfinished figures.  It turns out that Jason brought along his Circle army with which I've become familiar you might say.

Jason set up and moved first, no we didn't play a scenario, and the game went on a long time but we both had a good time.  First picture is of my guys in their nearly starting positions.

And here are Jasons guys on the start of the next turn.  We ended up each circling to the left, I wanted to do so as I wanted to try and isolate his beasts and take them one at a time.


Here is a slightly more glamorous shot of my guys the next turn where I started to extend the Iron Fleshed Winter Guard.


And Jason acted likewise, moving one of his warpwolves into the center, making him not effected by my spells and barfing (spraying technically) over a lot of my guys killing several and doing a lot of damage to my Berserker that had Superiority cast on him.



Due to bad damage rolls my Winter Guard did a single point of damage to the exposed beast but we managed to kill it the next turn and then the Game Changing Event took place, Irusk cast Battle Lust on my Manhunter who charged out of the woods and nearly took down a Warpwolf on her own in one round.  Needed 8's to hit, hit both times, charge attack with 5 dice and second attack with 4 overcame the lowly P&S of a Manhunter and nearly killed it.  You can see the epic combat in the upper left hand corner.  Oh, and they killed all my Kayazy, there's only one left fighting the Gorax in the picture.



He is the Gorax, he speaks for the trees.  And they say "DIE!".

In any event...  I managed to concentrate on the barfing wolf the next turn with both of my Berserkers and killed it.


Jason responded by attacking with his grey Warpwolf, picking up one of the Berserkers with both hands and chucking him at Irusk, hitting him and doing 7 points of damage (if I recall correctly) and crippling the other Berserker.



On my far left my Widowmakers were engaged by Jason's pigwarriors in what we called the Sissy Fight where there was an epic amount of missing and not hurting each other.  This combat lasted 3 turns before the Widowmakers managed to finally kill off the last of the pigs.


By concentrating Winter Guard fire on the Warpwolf that the Manhunter nearly took down we were able, at long last to reduce Jason to his last Warpwolf, the Gorax, Kya, and her guard dog.





At which point we kicked into overdrive on the killing front and, in one glorious turn killed the grey Warpwolf and the Gorax.  I don't have good pictures of the action, only of the aftermath.  It amounted to combined melee attacks and combined ranged attacks by with Winter Guard doing bits here and there,  upkeeping Superiority on the surviving Berserker, giving him two points of focus, him killing the Grey with his mighty battleaxe, blowing up, killing all of my mechanics and all the Winter Guard within 3", that explosion also hurting the Gorax, Irusk using his focus in shooting the Gorax twice, and then the coup d'grace:  My Guard Dog charging the Gorax, killing it, and running home.  All I have is the aftermath:



So, at this point I still have:

Irusk
Guard Dog
Uncle Joe
3 x Widowmakers
4 x Winter Guard (including UA)
Mortar

Jason has:

Kya
Guard Dog
1 x stone

It's Jason's turn and he does the only thing he can do: get into melee so I don't gradually shoot him to death with my Widowmakers and surviving Winter Guard.  He charges with his dog, and misses in combat, he then teleports (what ever it's called, it doesn't end activations, we checked!) Kya into contact with Irusk and misses him, 17s are hard to hit even for Jason from time to time. 

On my turn I try to kill the guard dog (as he's boosting Kya's defense) fail and then Irusk kills her in melee.



So, on other words, I finally won an "in person" game!  Yipee!

1 comment:

  1. Successsssssss!!!!

    Just saw your signup come through, bro. Next Crucible update will include "we have people coming from as far away as Colorado and Oregon" :)

    ReplyDelete