Thursday, October 11, 2012

'Et by the 'gator I done raised!

For those of you not "in the know" (or ITK as it's called by some) that's the Floridian version of "hoist on your own petard".  No seriously, linguists have validated the accuracy of that claim and if you check a wiki I'm sure you'll find it in there too.

So the title was either the above, or "Irusk ate a rocket" and frankly I find the 'gator one to be funny though not exactly applicable in this case.  In thinking about it (very very briefly) I came to the conclusion that one should always go with teh funny.

As you can no doubt guess by this point I played again and this time pIrusk was found wanting.  Or more accurately my forgetting the Siege has Mage Sight let me to hide in the woods just too close to Siege and I paid the price for it.  Other than that Mrs. Lincoln how was the play?  Well it was great!  I had Jason over a barrel and sadly gave him an out the turn before he'd have been a grease stain.

So I played pIrusk with the following:
Spriggan
Winter Guard Death Star
Nyss Hunters
Great Bears
Uncle Joe
Cyrus Wishnailer
Mechanics

Jason played Siege (first time for me against him)
Full unit of Storm Blades
Full unit of Long Gunners
Piper of Ord
Reinhardt
Journeyman
Lancer
Some big gun jack or other (seriously they all look alike to me)





Team Photo



Action shot of Jason and his guys

So Jason won the die roll and decided to deploy and move first, his deployment wasn't actually much different than what you see above there, Long Gunners on the left, Storm Blades on the right with the Piper with them and the wizards in the middle with the heavy 'jack.  The Lancer was on the far left, to the outside of the Long Gunners. 

I deployed with my Winter Guard facing his Storm Blades, my Nyss on the far right, and Irusk and the rest between them, hidden by a wood that you can see in a picture below.  I spread out a lot to protect my high DEF low ARM guys from the blast templates that Jason could pump out if he wanted too and we both moved forward, me flanking on the right around a building and Jason using that same building to cover the flank of his Long Gunners as they moved too far forward.




"The Death Star will advance in open order!"






We all love trees.  And hiding behind an ARM21 Spriggan.

Nyss running around the building.

So I then just stopped taking pictures until the end of the game, too much shooting not enough photography.  If I keep this up I'll lose my Combat Cameraman merit badge.  Basically what happened was this, the Winter Guard and the Storm Blades effectively killed each other off but not before two brave Guardsmen got into spray range of the pile of Long Gunners, those two sprays and two Nyss bow shots sufficed to kill off the whole of the unit.  Jason then got the Storm Blades into melee with the Guardsmen and they happily fought each other for the remaining turn.

Jason moved his Lancer around to the other side of the building and used it's unknown to Khador "arch-node" power to slam my Spriggan backwards, knocking it town, killing two mechanics and wounding two of the three Great Bears.  I then charged it with the Great Bears (since they can't be knocked down when in B2B and when they're all alive) thinking that they'd be able to kill it and open up a nice charge lane for the four Nyss that were on that side of the building, the remainder of the unit was on the far side and had clear LOS.  The Bears let me down, missing three times out of six and then rolling average on damage so I had to charge one Nyss to kill the Lancer and the rest ran around to try and set up a buffer zone of models in the open.  I feated and hid Irusk int he woods to cover as many of my troops as possible with the Feat.




Bears let me down.

Nyss are engaged with his Heavy, his Journeyman and Reinhardt

So on Jasons turn he can't disengage from my Nyss so he feats and advances Siege to within 12 of Irusk, casts Mage Sight and hits Irusk with a rocket and with boosted hit and damage rolls manages to kill him EXACTLY.  I then rolled a 1 on my Tough check and Irusk was stating his new career pushing up daisies.



Siege comes out for the kill.  Irusk is hiding just out of frame on the bottom left.

Looking at the picture, man I'm wondering if he actually had the movement to get there, he only moves 5" and at the end Irusk was exactly 12" away (the range of Mage Sight) and he had to walk around the outside edge of his heavy 'jack.  Ah well, if he hadn't pulled it off he was pretty much a goner and full credit to him he did exactly what he needed to do and it was my mistake to try and hide the woods in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment